Juillet 2018
DimLunMarMerJeuVenSam
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Calendrier


Partagez
Aller en bas
avatar
Carl Fiset
Administrateur
Administrateur
Nombre de messages : 14185
Age : 47
Date d'inscription : 11/09/2006
http://radiomonde.lolforum.net

proutporut Historique de XWA/CFCF/CIQC/CINW

le Dim 11 Mar - 20:15
Selon le site de la Fondation Canadienne des Communications:

CINW(CFCF)-AM, Montreal, Corus Entertainment Inc

Marconi’s attempt to add voice transmission to his wireless telegraphy (dots and dashes) failed to reach commercial acceptance until 1914 when the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company in Montreal acquired the rights to Reginald Fessenden's patents.

World War I caused governments to curtail these experiments and concentrate on war related contracts.

Over the next few years, there were newspaper reports of rumours of experimental radio activity by the Marconi Company – but since there were few radio receivers, these rumours were not substantiated.

In 1919, after the war, the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company was granted an experimental radio licence in Montreal. Extensive experiments were conducted on XWA before CFCF was granted its licence in 1920.

1920
On May 20, XWA broadcast the first "real" radio program in the world from studios on the top floor of the Marconi plant on William Street.

1922
XWA became CFCF on November 4. CFCF opened on 440 meters with 500 watts
and the station had Canada's first broadcast studio, in The Canada Cement Building in Phillips Square. The station was owned be the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company.

1923
Power was increased to 2,000 watts.

1925
CFCF switched to 730 kHz with 1,650 watts, sharing time with CHYC and CKAC.

1927
Studios moved to the penthouse of The Mount Royal Hotel.

1928
CFCF switched from 730 to 1030 kHz.

1929
In November, CFCF affiliated with NBC.

1933
CFCF changed from 1030 to 600 kHz.

1935
Studios moved to the King's Hall Building on Ste. Catherine St. W.

1938
Power increased to 500 watts.

1947
In January, CFCF's King's Hall studios were destroyed by fire. The station relocated to Cote des Neiges.

1950
CFCF increased power to 5,000 watts full-time DA-1.

1956
CFCF moved its transmitter to The Kahnawake Indian Reserve. Four 282 foot towers are used.

1957
CFCF's studios at Cote des Neiges were hit by fire. The station moved to the Dominion Square Building.

1962
CFCF launched CFCF-FM (later CFQR-FM) on 92.5 mHz with 41,200 watts power.

1963
CFCF-AM-FM & CFCX-SW Joined CFCF-TV at a new studio & office complex at 405 Ogilvy Avenue.


1970
Because of the CRTC's new foreign ownership regulations, Canadian Marconi Co. was forced to sell its stations. Canadian Marconi was an ineligible owner because slightly more than 50% of its shares were owned by Canmar Investment Co. Ltd. which was controlled by a company in the UK (English Electric). The remaining shares were owned by some 22,000 shareholders, some of whom were non-Canadian.

On July 6, Stuart W. Griffiths on behalf of a company to be incorporated (representing Bushnell Communications of Ottawa) was given approval to purchase the stations.

1971
On March 31, the licences for the Canadian Marconi stations were extended to December 31 because Bushnell was unable to proceed with purchase for various reasons, including the inability to arrange the necessary financing. The contract between Marconi and Bushnell expired on February 26 and the licences would have expired March 31. The extensions gave Canadian Marconi time to find a new buyer.

A new purchaser was found and on December 23, CFCF Ltd. was authorized to purchase the stations. CFCF Ltd. was 80% owned by CHUM Ltd. of Toronto and 20% by Canadian Marconi. There was a catch however. CHUM would have to sell CFCF-AM (and CFCX-SW) and CFQR-FM in Montreal as well as CKVR-TV in Barrie, Ontario.

1972
Not happy about the conditions placed on the purchase of the Canadian Marconi stations, CHUM decided not to proceed with the acquisition.

In June, the Canadian Marconi licences were extended yet again to allow time for a new purchaser to be found. The licences were extended to December 31, 1972.

Toronto based Multiple Access Ltd. was given permission on July 20 to purchase CFCF-AM (CFCX-SW), CFQR-FM and CFCF-TV from Canadian Marconi Co. The company would move its head office to Montreal. It should be noted that Multiple Access had no previous broadcasting experience.

1979
On July 6th, Multiple Access sold the CFCF stations to CFCF Inc. The new owner was headed by Jean Adelard Pouliot, who had been President and CEO of Tele-Capitale Ltd. As was the case with the 1972 sale, there were other companies that wanted to buy the CFCF stations...among them, Baton Broadcasting Inc. of Toronto (CFTO-TV).

1985
In December, CFCF radio moved to a new extension of the 405 Ogilvy Avenue building to make room for CF Cable.

1986
On December 16, CFCF increased power from 5,000 watts unlimited to 10,000 day, 5,000 night from the same site.

1988
Mount Royal Broadcasting Inc. (Pierre Arcand and Pierre Beland) CFCF-AM, CFQR-FM and CFCX Shortwave stations from CFCF Inc. (which kept CFCF-TV).

1989
Studios moved to 1200 McGill College Avenue (suite 300) on May 1.

1991
On September 9 at 12:01 a.m., CFCF became CIQC "Country 600". CFCF had an adult standards format.

1993
In March, CIQC switched from Country to Talk.

1996
On July 1, CIQC-AM and CFQR-FM relocated to the CKVL-CKOI Building at 211 Gordon Avenue in Verdun.

1999
On June 21, CIQC 600 was given approval to use CBM’s old 940 kHz frequency and to increase power from 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night to 50,000 watts day and night. The station would offer an all news service with a local and regional focus.

In November CINW (CIQC’s replacement) started testing on 940 kHz. The transmitter site for 940 would be the existing 600 facility on Highway 138 near the Kahnawake Reserve. It should be noted that in the early days of testing, 940 was actually using the call letters CKNN.

Regular programming on CIQC 600 came to an end on December 13 and the station was replaced the following day by CINW all-news (English) “940 News”.

2000
After simulcasting CINW 940 since December, CIQC 600 went silent just after midnight on April 23.

2001
Corus Entertainment Inc. purchased Metromedia CMR Broadcasting Inc. from Les Placements Belcand Mont-Royal inc.

2005
In September, CINW “940 News” dropped its all-news format to becme “AM 940, Montreal Radio” with a news-talk format.

Written by Bill Dulmage - May, 2006

============================================

avatar
Carl Fiset
Administrateur
Administrateur
Nombre de messages : 14185
Age : 47
Date d'inscription : 11/09/2006
http://radiomonde.lolforum.net

proutporut Re: Historique de XWA/CFCF/CIQC/CINW

le Ven 17 Déc - 12:45
Mise à jour :
CINW-AM, Montreal

, Corus Entertainment Inc.





CFCF
Canada's first Radio Station - and indeed one of the first radio
stations in the world, starting broadcasting in the early 1920's.


The station left the air 90 years later on
January 29th, 2010. Indeed the call letters were changed to CINW-AM and
we decided that while the History is in our "Former" section, with all
other old timers CFCF deserves this special recognition.


The Beginnings of Radio
Marconi's
attempt to add voice transmission to his wireless telegraphy (dots and
dashes) failed to reach commercial acceptance until 1914 when the
Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company in Montreal acquired the rights to
Reginald Fessenden's patents.




World War I caused governments to curtail these experiments and concentrate on war related contracts.

Over the next few years, there were newspaper
reports of rumours of experimental radio activity by the Marconi Company
- but since there were few radio receivers, these rumours were not
substantiated.


In 1919, after the war, the Marconi Wireless
Telegraph Company was granted an experimental radio licence in Montreal.
Extensive experiments were conducted on XWA before CFCF was granted its
licence in 1920. These experiments were heard only by those with
"crystal sets" or equivalent expeimental devices.

Darby Coates
Darby Coats, one of the engineers operating the experimental
station, Darby
remembered borrowing a record player and records from a local store in
return for mentioning it on the air - thus introducing the concept of
contra to the airwaves for the very first time. They would also rip and
read news and weather forecasts from the local Montreal papers.


1920
On May 20, XWA broadcast the first "real" radio program produced
by Coats and his partner, the first such program in the world, from
studios on the top floor of the Marconi plant on William Street.


1922
XWA became CFCF on November 4. CFCF opened on 440 meters with 500
watts and the station had Canada's first broadcast studio, in The
Canada Cement Building in Phillips Square. The station was owned be the
Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company.


1923
Power was increased to 2,000 watts.


1925
CFCF switched to 730 kHz with 1,650 watts, sharing time with CHYC and CKAC.


1927
Studios moved to the penthouse of The Mount Royal Hotel.

1928
CFCF switched from 730 to 1030 kHz.


1929
In November, CFCF affiliated with NBC.


1933
CFCF changed from 1030 to 600 kHz.


1935
Studios moved to the King's Hall Building on Ste. Catherine St. W.


1938
Power increased to 500 watts.

John A. Winter joined CFCF.

1940
On May 1, even bigger facilities were opened at
the King's Hall Building. At this time, R. M. Brophy was general manager
of the Canadian Marconi Co. The opening ceremony from the new studios
was carried across Canada on the CBC and in the U.S. by NBC's Blue
Network. J. A. Shaw was CFCF's manager at this time.




Canadian Marconi launched experimental FM station CFCX.

Bill Deegan joined CFCF.

1942
Johnny Winter (announcer), Alfred Ellis and
Jacques (Tommy) Tremblay enlisted in the RCAF. Of a total pre-war male
staff of 21, CFCF was represented in the armed forces by six in the
RCAF, one in the RCASC, one in the RCNVR, one in the RCA and two in the
Ferry Command.


1942-43
Ernie H. Smith was sales promotion director.

1943
M.J. (Jim) Humphreys, commercial director at CFCF
for many years, was transferred to the corporate level - Canadian
Marconi Co. Perley E. Hiltz, with the station since 1931, and has been
acting night supervisor, will move in to the commercial director
position.


1944
J.A. Shaw was CFCF's manager. Leonard Spencer was chief engineer.


1945
Bill Deegan left for Toronto's CFRB.

CBC Dominion Basic Stations:
CJFX, CHNS, CFCY, CKCW, CKNB, CJLS, CKCO, CHOV, CFBR, CJBC, CHEX, CFPL,
CFCO, CFPA, CHLT, CFCF, CKRC, CJGX, CKX, CKRM, CHAB, CFQC, CKBI, CFCN,
CFRN, CJRL, CHWK, CJOR, CJVI.




Corey Thomson hosted the noon news on CFCF.

1946
Stan Jones left CFCF for the announce staff at
CJAD. Newscaster Christopher Ellis returned to radio after retiring
several years earlier. He was lured back to do the 6:15 p.m. (Mon-Fri)
newscast on CFCF. Doug Smith did sports at CFCF.


1947
In January, CFCF's King's Hall studios were destroyed by fire. The station relocated to Cote des Neiges.

The first microwave radio relay communication circuit to be established
in Canada was expected to be operational by June, according to A.H.
Ginman, president of Canadian Marconi Co. The circuit would connect
Marconi's central telegraph office in Montreal with the beam
transmitting and receiving stations at Drummondville and Yamachichie,
respectively, providing increased communication facilities and avoiding
interruptions of service from land line failures.

CFCF was in the process of installing a new 5,000 watt AM transmitter as
well as a 3,000 watt transmitter for CFCM-FM in the Sun Life Building.

J.A. Shaw was manager and P.E. Hiltz was commercial manager.

CFCF hoped to increase power to 5,000 watts in January of 1948. The
antenna site at Senneville, was about 12 miles from the heart of the
city, along the shores of the Lake of Two Mountains. The directional
signal was expected to cover the Laurentian Playground and Eastern
Townships.

1948
An explosion ripped through the King's Hall Building on January 8 at
3:07 p.m., killing a 17 year old boy and injuring six women. The
building was home to CFCF and the CBC's CBF and CBM. King's Hall was
ordered evacuated at 4 p.m. and within six minutes, CFCF had resumed
normal broadcasting from its facilities in the Mount Royal Hotel. The
CBC stations switched to their transmitter sites and an hour later (5
p.m.), CBF began receiving programming from CBV Quebec City and CBM was
getting its programs from CBL in Toronto. The CBC later operated from
their shortwave studios and then the engineering department, thereby
restoring normal Montreal program services.

P.E. Hiltz was sales manager. The station was affiliated with the ABC and CBC Dominion networks.

CFCF increased power to 5,000 watts on April 12. The antenna site at
Senneville, was approximately 10 air miles from the centre of Montreal.
The site was built at a cost of more than a quarter million dollars.
Facilities included a concrete block and steel building with attractive
red brick facing and cottages in similar design for the engineers. Two
300 foot Ajax masts beamed the signal from a Marconi Type PB-31
transmitter. Speech input equipment feeding the transmitter comprised
Marconi hi fidelity Type AB-11 consolettes with associated equipment to
meet FM quality standards. An ad boasted of increased power, wider
coverage and clear reception ... "600 kcs First on the Dial".

S.M. Finlayson, general manager of Canadian Marconi Co., announced the
appointment of W. Victor George as broadcasting manager of the company.
George was president of Whitehall Broadcasting Ltd., a company he formed
when he left Canadian Marconi in 1935. He was to assume his new
position on May 15 and would be responsible for all broadcasting
services...AM, FM and eventually TV. He first joined Canadian Marconi in
1931, as manager of CFCF. Before that he worked for the C.N.R.

The CBC's first hearings on Television in Montreal were scheduled for
October. In the early going, two applications had been received:
Canadian Marconi Co. (CFCF) and La Presse Publishing Co. (CKAC).

Gordon Keeble was appointed station manager and Tom Quigley was named
supervisor of national accounts. Keeble started in radio in 1940 as an
announcer at CFCH in North Bay, and then went on to CKGB Timmins. He
left there in 1942 to join the announce staff at CBC Toronto, later
becoming chief announcer at CJBC. In 1946, he joined F.H. Hayhurst &
Co. Ltd.

Peggy McGannon was a local sales rep at CFCF.

An Ad promoted CFCF as having 5000 watts on 600, CFCF-FM with 3000 watts
on 106.5 and CFCF-TV: application (for TV had been) filed.

Slogan: CFCF Montreal - 600 KC - Tops The Dial.

CFCF's application for separate FM programming was deferred by the CBC
board for further study. CFCF re-introduced the application again at the
end of the year. The application was eventually approved but only on a
trial basis.

Applications to bring television to Canada, starting with Toronto and
Montreal were turned down by the CBC Board of Governors. Applicants
included CFRB, CKEY, Al Leary and Famous Players Canadian Corp. at
Toronto; and CFCF and CKAC for Montreal. The applications were shelved
because the CBC had no money to enter the television game.

A special Christmas Day broadcast was beamed from nine different
stations across Canada without the use of network facilities. The
participating stations were CKWX Vancouver, CFCN Calgary, CKCK Regina,
CJOB Winnipeg, CKSO Sudbury, CFPL London, CKCO Ottawa, CFCF Montreal and
CFCY Charlottetown.

1949
Keith Dancy joined CFCF from CFNB in Fredericton.

In
February, CFCF was making plans for separate FM programming which would
come directly from studios in the Sun Life Building. It was expected
CFCF-FM would have a regular staff to handle the new programs.




Fred Gowin did sports on CFCF.

Slogan: CFCF Montreal - 600 KC - Plus Short Wave and FM.

CFCF was to launch separate FM programming in
February. It would be the first FM station in Canada to offer its own
program service. The licence would only allow this for a trial of one
year though. A number of changes in personnel took place as a result.
Herbert Hewetson would be FM program supervisor. Traffic chief Allan
Hammond would become assistant station manager. Librarian Morris Austin
would now be traffic manager. Chief announcer Paul Steven became
production supervisor while Announcer Jack Brooks took over from Steven.
Announcer Russ Dakin was appointed local sales rep, succeeding Peggy
McGannon who left the station. Toronto freelancer Lee Hamilton became a
staff announcer.


The applications for new television stations
(CKEY, CFRB, Famous Players and Al Leary for Toronto; and CFCF and CKAC
for Montreal) were again deferred by the CBC Board of Governors.

CFCF was authorized to operate an emergency transmitter.

CFCF wanted the CBC Board to review the separate programming over
CFCF-FM and sought to have it classified as a separate operation with
the rights and privileges applying to normal broadcasting stations. The
CBC deferred the matter for further study.

Keeble was manager and Tom Quigley was commercial manager.

1949-50
Stan Harrison was CFCF's morning man. Engineer Russ Taylor was
straightman to Harrison's jokes. The new program was presented by remote
control from the window of Dinty Moore's Restaurant, across the street
from the station, on St. Catherine Street in downtown Montreal.

John J. Kingan, former assistant to Canadian Marconi's general manager
Stuart M. Finlayson, was named general manager of the company. He was
named assistant to Finlayson in October of 1947, after serving as
project engineer since 1945.

1950
Slogans: Station of the Stars. / Canada's First Station. First... in
operation (1919). First... on Montrealer's dial. First... buy with
advertisers. / The Big-Time Station in Montreal.

Gordon Keeble resigned as manager of CFCF to become manager of S.W.
Caldwell Ltd. He was replaced at ‘CF by Al Hammond, who had been with
the station for some time. Both appointments wer effective September 1.

Rex Loring joined CFCF from the news department at CKOY Ottawa. Tracy S.
Lodington headed the news bureau. Peel Stevens and Jack Brooks were
news editors.

Corey Thomson, manager of CKVL (Verdun), did his 5,000th broadcast of
the "Uncle Troy" program over CFCF in November. The show had now been on
the air - and CFCF - for 19 years. This was despite the fact that
Thomson had been manager of competing station CKVL since it went on the
air in 1946.

In December, A.H. Ginman resigned as president of Canadian Marconi Co.
He was succeeded by S.M. Finlayson. Ginman would remain on the board of
directors and Finlayson would continue on as general manager.

1951
Gord Sinclair joined CFCF as morning man. His famous father worked at CFRB in Toronto.

Keith Dancy was chief announcer and director of sports. W. Victor
George was named to take charge of public relations, publicity and
advertising for the Canadian Marconi Co. He would also continue as
broadcasting manager of the company, directing CFCF. Sportscaster Doug
Smith handled Montreal Alouette CFL football broadcasts for CFCF.
William M. Petty was appointed supervisor of public service broadcasts
at CFCF. For the past three years Petty had been director of the
station's program "Home and School of the Air".

Ad: First portable amplifier in Canada? That distinction belongs to CFCF
Montreal - the pioneer radio station in Canada with 32 years of
merchandising experience - and how!!

Slogan: Look to Canada. Look to its biggest city. Look to its first station. See how effective radio CAN be!! CFCF Montreal.

1952
Dave Rogers took charge of CFCF's new and exclusive Radio Press newsroom
and CFCF's coverage of Montreal, as of March 1. Rogers had plenty of
newspaper experience and had been with CFBC Saint John before joining
CFCF.

Gord Sinclair (Jr.) hosted a Western swing show. Charlie Fair was
on-air, Bill Petty was director of public service. Reo Thompson was
program manager.

CFCF created a radio course for McGill University students showing aptitude and interest for the medium.

1953
Slogans: In Canada it's Montreal - In Montreal it's CFCF. / Canada's
first station ...Canada's finest station - CFCF reaches out and beyond
giving you complete blanket coverage of this number 1 spot ... plus
bonus markets of more than a score of rich surrounding counties!

Control of Canadian Marconi Co. was to be purchased by the English
Electric Co. Ltd., which had acquired Marconi's Wirless Telegraph Co.
Ltd. of England some seven years earlier. English Electric had agreed to
buy from Cable & Wirlesss Ltd., the latter's 50.6% share capital of
Canadian Marconi.

CFCF joined the RTNDA. Dave Rogers was news director.

Program director Reo Thompson was now with the newly formed All-Canada Television. He would be replaced as PD by Jack Howlett.

Some of the staff: Martin Conroy (traffic manager), Russ Taylor
(recording engineer), Pat Murray (announcer), Mike Wood (production
supervisor), Terry Garner (announcer), Peel Stevens (announcer), Gord
Sinclair (announcer), Charlie Fair (announcer), Bill Deegan (announcer),
Dean Kaye (news), Keith Dancy (sports director and worked in sales).

Ads: For a complete coverage of Canada...you must sell its largest
city...and to sell Montreal...focus your attention of Canada's first
station - CFCF. / Wake up...to Montreal's best buy - Gord Sinclair -
Montreal's personable morning man on your station of the stars - CFCF.

1954
Keith Dancy became commercial manager. He had been announcer, chief
announcer, sports director and salesman before taking on the new role.

Vic George left Canadian
Marconi for England. CFCF manager Al Hammond succeeded him as
broadcasting manager. George managed CFCF from 1931-35, left then
returned in 1948 as broadcasting manager. He started in radio in 1923 at
CNRO Ottawa. Hammond started with CFCF in 1940 as a relief announcer.
After serving in the RCAF, he returned in 1945 as an assistant in the
commercial department. After time as night supervisor, he became traffic
manager then assistant manager and then station manager in September of
1950. He now added broadcasting manager to the duties of station
manager.




Harry Etheridge was named news director. He had
been with the station since the summer of 1953 and succeeded Dave Rogers
who left for CHCH-TV in Hamilton.


Duane Desmond was record librarian.

Slogan: Listeners and advertisers agree the swing is to CFCF.

1955
Newsman Bob Crabb came to CFCF from CKOC in Hamilton.
Bert Cannings joined CFCF as news director. He had been with CKWX
Vancouver. Sam Solomon was news director. Lloyd Chester was a DJ.

CFCF had now been training (radio) McGill students for three years.

1956
CFCF moved its transmitter to The Kahnawake Indian Reserve. Four 282 foot towers are used.

1957
CFCF's studios at Cote des Neiges were hit by fire. The station moved to the Dominion Square Building.

Ownership of Canadian Marconi Company - Qualifying shares only: J. A.
Boyd, S. M. Finlayson, Hon. A. K. Hugessen, W. A. Mather, H. J.
Symington, L. B. Nicholls, H. G. Nelson. There are approximately 23,500
shareholders worldwide.

One of the local programs on CFCF was "Hometown Jamboree".

1958
Keith Dancy left CFCF as commercial manager to become general manager of CKSL in London.

1960
Bob Crabb left for CJRH in Richmond Hill, Ontario. Gord Sinclair
departed to start his own Montreal-area station - CFOX-AM. News director
Bert Cannings now held that title for CFCF-TV as well as for radio.

1962
CFCF launched CFCF-FM (later CFQR-FM) on 92.5 mHz with 41,200 watts power.


CFCF ended its affiliation with the CBC when the
Trans-Canada and Dominion networks consolidated into a single service.
CFCF had been the Dominion affiliate. CBC service to Montreal carried on
through the corporation's own station - CBM.

1963
CFCF-AM-FM & CFCX-SW Joined CFCF-TV at a new studio & office complex at 405 Ogilvy Avenue.


1965
W. V. George was President of Canadian Marconi Co. Ltd. J. D. Wright was General Manager.

1967
Al Boliska was CFCF's morning man. Dave Boxer was on in the evenings from 6-10. George Balcan was also at ‘CF at this time.



Bert
Cannings was news director of CFCF-AM-FM-TV. Al Boliska on-air was at
CFCF. Joe Van was on-air 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Martin Conroy was general
sales manager. Bud Hayward was vice president of the broadcast division
of Canadian Marconi.




Slogan: Turned on in Montreal - CFCF Radio 600.

1968
Dean Kaye was to broadcast his 1,000th 6:30 p.m. newscast over CFCF on July 17.

CFCF announced it would carry all home and away games of the Montreal
Alouette's (CFL) in the 1968 season. Tex Coulter would do colour
commentary and sports director Dick Irvin would do the play by play.

Ken Dobson was general manager. Stephen Boyd (Bud) Hayward, vice
president of Canadian Marconi Co. and manager of the broadcasting
division, died July 13 at the age of 43. Before joining Canadian
Marconi, he helped to co-found CKPT-AM in Peterborough.

D.W.G. Martz was appointed president of the broadcasting division of
Canadian Marconi. He had been general manager of CFCF-TV and sales
manager before that. He joined the company in 1962 from CKCR in
Kitchener.

Walter Machny was named general manager. He had been sales manager of CFCF-TV and with the company for 11 years.

1968-69
Jim McManus was named sales manager. He had been associated with
creative and client services for the station for several years. McManus
then appointed Brian Pearce as CFQR's sales manager.

1969
Jim Kidd was appointed program director of CFCF/CFQR. He had been
production director since 1962. Kidd replaced Gerry Bascombe who became
program director of CHFI-FM-AM in Toronto. Bascombe had been PD for the
past five years and was with CF-TV for two years before that.

It was announced that Bushnell Television Co. of Ottawa (CJOH-TV) would purchase CFCF-AM-TV/CFQR-FM.

Ron Hare was appointed director of advertising and promotion for CFCF-AM/CFQR-FM. He had been promotion supervisor for CFCF-TV.

Jack Oldham was appointed deputy director of news and public affairs for the CFCF stations.

CFCF subscribed to the Rogers Radio News Network which began operations
in April. RRNN was affiliated with ABC in New York. Broadcast News was
the main source of news for radio stations in Canada but only a handful
at this time were subscribing to BN's voice (audio) service. CFCF was
one of those stations.

Ad: CFCF 600 Montreal - The first with fifty years of broadcasting
history. Radio with a past. Radio of the future. The People Station for
Montreal People.



On October 21, Canadian Marconi's shareholders approved the purchase of CFCF-AM-FM-TV by Bushnell Communications.

1970
Because of the CRTC's new foreign ownership regulations, Canadian
Marconi Co. was forced to sell its stations. Canadian Marconi was an
ineligible owner because slightly more than 50% of its shares were owned
by Canmar Investment Co. Ltd. which was controlled by English Electric
of The United Kingdom. The remaining shares were owned by some 22,000
shareholders, some of whom were non-Canadian.

On July 6, Stuart W. Griffiths on behalf of a company to be incorporated
(representing Bushnell Communications of Ottawa) was given approval to
purchase the stations.

CFCF agreed to carry a minimum of 148 home and away games of the Montreal Expos' 162 game schedule in the upcoming season.

1971
On March 31, the licences for the Canadian Marconi stations were
extended to December 31 because Bushnell was unable to proceed with
purchase for various reasons, including the inability to arrange the
necessary financing. The contract between Marconi and Bushnell expired
on February 26 and the licences would have expired March 31. The
extensions gave Canadian Marconi time to find a new buyer.

A new purchaser was found and on December 23, CFCF Limited was
authorized to purchase the stations. CFCF Ltd. was 80% owned by CHUM
Ltd. of Toronto and 20% by Canadian Marconi. There was a catch
however…CFCF Ltd. would have to sell CFCF-AM (and CFCX-SW) and CFQR-FM
in Montreal and CHUM Ltd. would have to sell CKVR-TV in Barrie,
Ontario.

1972
On July 20, Multiple Access Ltd. was given federal approval to acquire
the CFCF radio and television stations. The new owner was controlled by
the Bronfman family.

CFCF switched formats -- MOR to MOT.

After being away for a time, George Balcan returned to CFCF from CJAD.

1974
George Balcan left for CJAD.


1975
Jimmy tap was doing the afternoon drive
show. Gord Sinclair returned to CFCF. He had sold CFOX in 1973. George
Balcan was back at CFCF.


1976
CFCF withdrew its application to increase night-time power to 50,000 watts.

Morning man George Balcan left again for CJAD.

1977
Jack Curran was handling the morning show.

1978
On October 12, the CRTC denied the sale of 54.4% of Multiple
Access Ltd. by Mainvest Communications Ltd. and others to Baton
Broadcasting Inc. (owner of CFTO-TV inToronto). If the deal had been
approved, Baton would have controlled CTV licensees reaching 30% of the
Canadian population, received almost 40% of total air time sales
revenues of all CTV stations, and accounted for over 70% - in dollar
terms – of all production for the network.

On June 27, the CRTC approved the application by Coopérative des
travailleurs CHNC to acquire from Radio CHNC ltée the assets of CHNC New
Carlisle and its transmitter CHGM Gaspé. The transaction would be
completed through the dissolution and the wind-up of the assets of Radio
CHNC ltée into la Coopérative. The transaction would not affect the
effective control of CHGM Gaspé, which would continue to be exercised by
la Coopérative's board of directors.

1979
On July 6, Multiple Access was given permission to sell the CFCF
stations to CFCF Inc. The new owner was headed by Jean Adelard Pouliot,
who was President and CEO of Tele-Capitale Ltd. He also owned
approximately 25% of Tele-Capitale’s shares. With the purchase of the
CFCF stations, he committed to selling some of his T-C shares so that
his interest in that company would be much smaller. He also planned to
continue working for T-C as a consultant. The CRTC felt it would be best
if he resigned his position with Tele-Capitale.

In approving the purchase,
the CRTC called for a new promise of performance to be submitted by
October 31; increased input by CFCF-TV to the CTV network, and more
emphasis on local production with improved weekend news coverage.
Associated with Pouliot were Don Martz, Lee Hambleton, Douglass Hanson
and John Krug of CFCF. The Dofasco Employees' Fund would own 12.5% of
the voting shares of CFCF Inc.


Ted Blackman joined CFCF for the morning show. Lynn Desjardins left the CFCF news department for CJAD.



1980
David A. Barrett was named vice president of radio (CFCF-AM and CFQR-FM).

1981
Gord Sinclair left for CJAD 800.

1982

John Mackey left as general manager of CHOM/CKGM . He was replaced by
former sales manager Phil Parker. Mackey moved to CJBK in London. Mark
Sherman became retail sales manager for CHOM-FM.

1983
An estimated $10,000 damage was caused to the CFCF Building by an
intruder on February 6. A man gained access to the building, proclaimed
himself the mayor of the world and then went on a rampage.

Kevin McGowan was doing the morning show.

1984
CFCF Inc. announced plans to expand its facilities with a $12 million
addition that would accommodate CFCF-AM-TV, CFQR-FM, CF Cable and
Champlain Productions.

1985
In December, CFCF radio moved to a new extension of the 405 Ogilvy Avenue building to make room for CF Cable.

1986
On December 16, CFCF increased power from 5,000 watts unlimited to 10,000 day, 5,000 night from the same site.

1987
Eric Young, previously promotions manager for CFCF and CFQR-FM, was named program director for CFCF.

Jean A. Pouliot became chairman of the board and chief executive officer
of CFCF Inc. Don W.G. Martz became vice-chairman of the board and
chairman of the executive committee. Adrien D. Pouliot became president
and chief operating officer.

Frank McCormick was CFCF's news director. John Stubbs was operations manager.

Malcolm Campbell was named general sales manager for CFCF/CFQR-FM. Gordon Donaldson was appointed manager of sports properties.



Joe Leone returned to CFCF from CFYN Sault Ste.
Marie, where he had been program director. He then left for CKWS-AM in
Kingston to become VP of programming.


Eric Young became CFCF's program director. He had been promotions manager for CFCF and CFQR-FM.

Frank McCormick was news director.


1988
Pierre Arcand was vice president and program director.

CFCF was airing CFCF-TV's evening news - Pulse News. It was a distinct
package - local, personality oriented, with weather and sports. The
first half hour was all local.

Andy Peplowski became news director at CFCF/CFQR-FM.

Mount Royal Broadcasting Inc. purchased CFCF-AM,
CFQR-FM and CFCX Shortwave from CFCF Inc. Mount Royal was headed by two
senior executives with Telemedia Quebec. Pierre Béland was Telemedia
Quebec's president and CEO. Pierre Arcand was senior VP and general
manager of Telemedia's flagship - CKAC-AM. The new owners would leave
their positions at Telemedia and planned to eventually move their new
stations from the CFCF building to a new site. CFCF Inc. sold the radio
stations because they had been losing money and the company wanted to
concentrate on television (they retained CFCF-TV and TQS). Control of
Mount-Royal (55%) was held by Béland through holding company, Belcand
Mount-Royal Holdings Inc. The other shareholders in the applicant
company were the two institutions providing financial backing for the
transaction, Royal Trustco Limited (40%) and the Toronto-Dominion Bank
(5%). Arcand owned 30% of the shares in the holding company.

1989
Studios moved to 1200 McGill College Avenue (suite 300) on May 1.

1990
Dennis Bell was doing the midday show.

1991
Program director Andre Chevalier added the position of news director after the departure of Andy Peplowski.



On September 9 at 12:01 a.m., Canada's first radio
station changed its historic call letters. CFCF with an Adult Standards
music format became CIQC "Country 600" with a Contemporary Country
format. With the change, Jim Connell replaced Jack Curan as morning
host. It was also decided that CIQC would continue to simulcast the
hour-long CFCF-TV Pulse News, nightly at six.


1993
In March, CIQC switched from Country to
Talk. Joe Cannon was doing the morning show. Terry Haig and Mitch
Melnick joined from CJAD.


1994
Gordon Courtenay was doing the afternoon drive show.

1996
On July 1, CIQC-AM and CFQR-FM relocated to the CKVL-CKOI Building at 211 Gordon Avenue in Verdun.

1998
Jim Duff was CIQC's morning man and Shawn Lyons was morning show producer.

1999
On June 21, CIQC 600 was given approval to use CBM’s old 940 kHz
frequency and to increase power from 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts
night to 50,000 watts day and night. The station would offer an all news
service with a local and regional focus.

In November CINW (CIQC’s replacement) started testing on 940 kHz. The
transmitter site for 940 would be the existing 600 facility on Highway
138 near the Kahnawake Reserve. It should be noted that in the early
days of testing, 940 was actually using the call letters CKNN.

Regular programming on CIQC 600 came to an end on December 13 and the
station was replaced the following day by CINW all-news (English) “940
News”.

2000
After simulcasting CINW 940 since December, CIQC 600 went silent just after midnight on April 23.

2001
Corus Entertainment Inc. purchased Metromedia CMR Broadcasting Inc. from Les Placements Belcand Mont-Royal inc.

2002
Two of Montreal's great broadcasters passed away. Both had worked
at the old CFCF one or more times over the years. Gord Sinclair died
July 12 at 74 and Ted Blackman passed away October 1 at age 60.

2005

In September, CINW “940 News” dropped its all-news format to becme “AM 940, Montreal Radio” with a news-talk format.

2006
Effective July 15, all of the Corus Montreal (CINW-AM, CINF-AM,
CKAC-AM, CFQR-FM, CHMP-FM, and CKOI-FM) stations came under the same
roof at 800, rue De La Gauchetiere Ouest , Bureau 1100.

2008
On June 14 at 5:00 p.m., CINW flipped to an oldies format as "AM 940 -
Montreal's Greatest Hits." Eighteen people lost their jobs as a result
of the change. An official launch of the new format was set for July 1
at 9:40 a.m. Chris Bury was program director. Marc Denis was host of the
morning show (6:00 to 10:00).

2010
On January 29 at 10:00 a.m., Corus Quebec pulled
the programming from CINW 940 and CINF 690 and shut the transmitters
down at 7:00 p.m. CINF had been known as Info690. CINW was known as
AM940 Montreal's Greatest Hits. In a statement, Corus said that despite
the excellence and dedication of station employees, Info690 and AM940
were unprofitable. The statement went on to say that it was clear that
these two AM stations were not viable, particularly in the current
economic climate. The decision affected 10 positions, including eight
positions at Info690: three journalists, two traffic reporters and three
operations staff. At AM940, two positions were affected: one on-air
host and one technician. The Info690 Montréal newsroom, known as
CorusNouvelles, would continue its activities as part of 98,5 FM.
CorusNouvelles would continue to invest in providing news content to the
entire Corus Québec network and its clients. The majority of journalist
positions from the Info690 newsroom (five of eight journalists along
with three of five traffic reporters) would be retained. The operating
licences for the two stations would be returned to the CRTC.


Metromedia CMR Broadcasting Inc. requested
the revocation of the broadcasting licences for its English-language
radio programming undertaking CINW and its French-language radio
programming undertaking CINF Montréal. The licensee has informed the
Commission that these stations had not been in operation since 29
January 2010. Given the licensee's request and pursuant to sections
9(1)(e) and 24(1) of the Broadcasting Act, the Commission revoked the
broadcasting licences issued to Metromedia CMR Broadcasting Inc. for the
above-mentioned undertakings - June 8, 2010.


Written by Bill Dulmage - Updated November, 2010







Source : http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/index3.html

============================================

avatar
Carl Fiset
Administrateur
Administrateur
Nombre de messages : 14185
Age : 47
Date d'inscription : 11/09/2006
http://radiomonde.lolforum.net

proutporut Re: Historique de XWA/CFCF/CIQC/CINW

le Ven 17 Déc - 13:13
Dernier message avant la fin des opérations du 940 AM :


============================================

Contenu sponsorisé

proutporut Re: Historique de XWA/CFCF/CIQC/CINW

Revenir en haut
Permission de ce forum:
Vous ne pouvez pas répondre aux sujets dans ce forum